Did you know?
Fab Facts About Cows
We hope you enjoy reading these 'Fab Fact's about cows!
- Cows "moo" and use different body positions and facial expressions to communicate with each other.
- A cow's spots are like a fingerprint. No two cows have exactly the same pattern of spots.
- Cows are ruminants, which are cud chewing mammals. Sheep and camels also are ruminants.
- Cows are very social animals. They form large herds and will bond to some herd members while avoiding others.
- A cow chews her cud (regurgitated, partially digested food) for up to 8 hours each day.
- Cows drink about a bathtub of water and eat around 95 pounds of food a day.
- Cows can live 25 years. You can guess the age of a cow that has horns by counting the number of rings on the horns.
- Per day, a cows spends 6 hours eating and 8 hours chewing cud. A cow doesn't bite the grass, but she curls her tongue around it. A cow has no upper front teeth.
- Cows have cloven hooves. In galloping through boggy places or in deep mud, cattle can run faster than a horse. Their toes spread, and therefore their wide feet do not sink so deep as do those of the solid-hoofed horse.
- A cow stands up and sits down about 14 times a day.
Reference: Vegan Peace